Wednesday 6 August 2014

Herbs and Tussie-Mussie

Sweet Pea Tussie Mussie

 

I have had a garden for many years – 32 to be precise… and before that loved growing plants on my window and at work I became addicted after having been given a small cutting which grew despite being very neglected.

About 9 years ago or so – I had to have part my current garden decked-over, as the dog had destroyed most of any living grass.  Fine – we love Murphy – so the decking was a good compromise – especially when I had fountains added and pots of lovely flowering plants – all very reminiscent of Mediterranean.   Then it all died back when we were away. Plants needed watering, and I was devastated.

I didn’t know where to start this year when faced with trying to sort out some sort of comfortable area where I could sit and spin/weave and read a book, and be surrounded with living things – not the evidence of years of neglect.  I also didn’t want the decking area to become another place of guilt.  Like the mess in the house. 

So – deep breathes and Sarah Raven catalogue to hand I got started. 

I have – as you will see on my Kitchen Notes blog (when I get around to updating it) – my preoccupation this year has been to learn to cook. 

To cook, I have learned I need ingredients –

Ingredients are not always easily to be found – despite Jamie Oliver assuring me that the “big, bad boys” are readily available at a supermarket near me… You ought to have seen the assistant’s face when I asked her !! (I am talking preserved lemons here… not anything else….).

Tarragon was my first discovery – couldn’t buy it anywhere fresh – then discovered a whole load of issues with it… so much so I think I will start another small sub-blog – and I am going to discuss that here..

I don’t have an urge to write thousands of blogs – just will find my life a bit simpler if I can keep the separate areas of interest in different rooms !

Also over the last year or so I have had the need to cut the eco footprint my life is having on the world.  Not sure that is the phrase – but I have been horrified by just how many very large vehicles we pass on the motorway zooming our food to us and other essentials of life.  I am not comfortable with me being part of that problem…

Hadn’t even occurred to me that cut flowers would also have an impact until a recent programme – so I have chosen sweat peas as my starter project – along with loads of others recommended by Sarah Raven (!!).

I have photographed one of the little bouquets that I am harvesting on a daily basis – along with some lavender and other sweet smelling herbs – ALL HOMEGROWN !! How proud am I…

They are in a little Tussie-Mussie vase that was a present last week from the American Museum – the most delightful little herb shop that I have come across. 

I was really chuffed about learning about Tussie-Mussie’s and was going to call this blog after it – as it is a little bouquet of thoughts – then I found out what the Victorian Slang meaning of it was….

Still like the vase and bouquet though – big is not always best….

A bit like this blog… please bookmark and come back, all comments, tips and ideas very welcome…

No comments:

Post a Comment